Monday, May 20, 2013

Sit back, Relax and Enjoy the Flight




Squeezed between two grown men, I am sitting in the middle seat. To top it off, the lady in front of me has had her seat reclined since before the plane took off. What a rebel move. Oh man, now the man behind me is playing footsies with me since he has stretched out his legs like a giraffe on his tippy toes. Regardless, these subtle setbacks are not going to damper my day since I am on my way to Barcelona, Spain to study abroad through IES Abroad and UT Study Abroad for two months.

Wow, I cannot believe the time has finally come. After an entire year of planning and coordinating my trip, I will be in Barcelona in 13 hours. As I earn seven college credit hours, I will be studying Spanish and International Marketing at the IES school in the center of Barcelona. While attending school, I will be living through independent hosing with my host family: the Garcia Rodriguez family. During the summer entering my junior year of high school, I studied abroad to Barcelona, Spain through the Rotary Club. While learning a different language and culture, I lived in Barcelona for three weeks with the Garcia Rodriguez family. After the three weeks, Maria Garcia Rodriguez, who is my age, came back to Texas with me for three weeks to also learn a different language and culture in America. It was a wonderful experience, and I now have a second family in Barcelona. I have not been back to Barcelona in four years, so I am looking forward to rekindling my relationship with the Garcia Rodriguez family.

Friends and family have asked me if I am scared to be traveling over seas all summer. Every time someone asks, I shack my head and grin. Although I am traveling to another continent, country, city, I am not the slightest bit nervous. I am going to be living with my second family, and I know I will be welcomed with arms wide open.

Hasta luego,
RachRobes

No comments:

Post a Comment